Thursday, March 26, 2009

3c

In one of Matthew's first comments, he mentioned Freire's passion for teaching those who were not educated. I could not imagine living a life not being educated, not being to read nor write. I don't think people realize how profound the ability to read and write is. To be able to read a simple sign or vote in an election. What Freire did for many many people is profound in my book. He opened up doors for so many people; giving them another chance at life, and the ability to achieve something.

In the second part of Matthew's second half of his comments, it was also mentioned how humble Freire was. I think it is more than important to have lived and struggled a little; to better understand the lives of those who you are trying to touch. Freire was an extremely humble individual who learned early on what it meant to be homeless and without a lot. I think living a hard life, makes one strong.

Studying Freire has helped me tremendously. It has allowed me to better connect to the world of Latin America, and everything that region of our world brings to the table. It is always educational to look at a regions past before you attempt to understand their furute. We are always taught about the great people of our nation; however, I think it is just as important to focus on their influential people of other great areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment